19 May 2016
Constituency Based Caseworker
Kate Osamor MP, Member of Parliament for Edmonton
Salary in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Kate Osamor MP is looking for an experienced individual to work in her busy Constituency Office on a full time basis. The Caseworker will be part of the Constituency and Parliamentary team reporting directly to the Office Manager.
The role centres on providing information, advice and support to constituents on a variety of issues, liaising with Government agencies, the local authority, the voluntary sector and others to help resolve matters on behalf of constituents.
You will be expected along with other members of the team to provide Kate with summary information on case work, trends and outstanding issues and, within reason, to provide reciprocal cover for other team members.
• Meeting with, and handling correspondence from, constituents providing advice and support on a variety of issues (e.g. housing, immigration, benets)
• Drafting letters and emails and liaising with appropriate agencies
• Progressing own caseload, under office manager supervision, ensuring cases are dealt with in a sensitive, confidential, professional and timely manner with accurate records kept, in adherence to the principles of the Data Protection Act.
• Attending surgeries and other meetings (including training) to assist the Member in dealing with constituents’ issues.
• Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation/guidelines, as appropriate
• Producing brieng and other summary material on constituency work for the MP
• Previous experience of handling casework, either in an MP’s Office, the Civil Service, or a third sector organisation
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Confidence in interacting with people at all levels and in a variety of circumstances.
• Ability to prioritise a demanding workload to meet deadlines
• Ability to deal with issues in a confidential manner
• Ability to work effectively in a small team
• Competent use of IT, including full proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook and the internet
• Experience of a casework management system or similar database.
• Experience of working and dealing with the general public.
• Awareness and understanding of current political issues.
19 May 2016
Interview/Start Dates: TBC
Interviews will be held in the Constituency office in Edmonton, with a desired start date as soon as possible.
Applicants should send a copy of their CV plus a one-page covering letter to Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure your email is titled: Caseworker Vacancy
Please note that if you have not received a response by 23 May 2016, your application has not been successful.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO).
See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. Salary, £19,000-£29,224, in accordance with IPSA guidelines.