Monday 6th November 2023
- This week I continued to receive dozens of emails from constituents calling on the Government to back a ceasefire in Gaza. With more than 10,000 innocent Palestinians killed by Israel across the world people have been taking to the streets to call for peace. I support a ceasefire. Israel’s war crimes against the Palestinian people in Gaza don’t take us closer to peace. The International community must now come together to work towards an end to the Occupation in the West Bank and Gaza.
- After weeks of delays, Enfield Council finally agreed to take action against my constituent’s Landlord whose property has severe issues with damp and mould. Work must now be carried out to resolve those issues and ensure the property is safe and suitable for my constituent and their family to live in.
Tuesday 7th November 2023
- On Tuesday, King Charles opened the 59th session of Parliament. This was the first Kings Speech since 1951, and the first chance for Rishi Sunak to set out his priorities leading up to the general election next year. That opportunity was wasted, with very little in the speech of substance and no substantial bills to tackle the key challenges facing the country such as the climate crisis or cost of living crisis.
- Following representations, Enfield Council have agreed to arrange for contractors to fix issues with the streetlights on Seymour Road.
Wednesday 8th November 2023
- On Wednesday I took a moment to place a symbol of remembrance in the Constituency Garden of Remembrance, which is located in New Palace Yard outside the front of Parliament. I did so on behalf of everybody in Edmonton, to remember the service and sacrifice of our Armed Forces. We must never forget that sacrifice and always remember the terrible cost of war.
- In Parliament on Wednesday, I pressed Government Ministers in the Chamber on the urgent need to avert the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza from getting still worse. I called on the Government to use its voice on the international stage to get more aid to those who need it in Gaza. Israeli, has laid siege to Gaza for weeks now – cutting off water, food and electricity to the entire population. Unless more aid gets in or the siege ends, then the consequences will be horrific.
Thursday 9th November 2023
- Figures released this week showed that as a result of a Department of Education calculation schools across England are £370,000,000 worse off than originally thought. In Edmonton, our secondary schools are £367,800 worse off and our Primary Schools are more than £500,000 worse off.
- Enfield Council have agreed to conduct an estate inspection on the South Street Estate so that they look into what measures they might be able to take to reduce anti-social behaviour and make the estate safer as a whole.
Friday 10th November 2023
- On Friday I had the pleasure of visiting St John & St James CoE Primary School, where students gave me a tour and I was able to meet the student council who asked me lots of very insightful questions. I was incredibly impressed by the wonderful work being done across the school.
- This week I received over 300 emails from constituents. The most common issue that people contacted me about was the horrific killing of civilians in Gaza. Many constituents also contacted me calling for me to be done to tackle the homelessness crisis while others contacted me about Home Office delays and complaints about the Council.
Thank you for taking the time to read about my week representing Edmonton. If you have any issues that you would like to raise directly with me then please do email firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m always happy to help whenever possible.
Member of Parliament for Edmonton